Feeling good and leading a long and healthy life are things most of us want – and there’s a lot we can do to increase the chance that we’ll have them. The beneficial effects – both physical and mental – of exercise are proven. You’re never too young, too old, or too out of shape to get started.
Exercise can help people at any stage of life. Physical activity provides benefits, regardless of your age, gender, or current fitness level. The benefits of regular exercise include:
- Increased efficiency of heart and lungs
- Increased muscle strength
- Reduced cholesterol levels
- Reduced blood pressure
- Reduced risk of major illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease
- Weight loss
Enhanced Sense of Well-Being
- Increased mental acuity
- More energy
- Improved quality of sleep
- Improved ability to cope with stress
- Reduced tension
Structured exercise programs bring obvious benefits, but most people can move toward better fitness by changing their daily lifestyle to incorporate more activity. Muscles used in any activity, any time of day, contribute to fitness. Here are some suggestions for incorporating more activity into your daily life:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park at the far end of a parking lot and walk to your office or the mall.
- If you ride the bus, get off a few blocks before your stop and walk the rest of the way.
- Get up from your desk during the day to stretch and walk around.
- Take a brisk walk when you get the urge to snack.
- Increase your pace when working in the house or yard.
- Mow your own lawn and rake your own leaves.
- Carry your own groceries.
- Play outside with your children or grandchildren-it doesn’t matter so much what-catch, hopscotch, or horseshoes-just keep moving.
When you’re ready for more vigorous activity, set realistic goals and expectations. Fitness and a healthy lifestyle are long-term endeavors, so start slowly, and work toward your goal gradually. As your fitness level improves, you can increase your time or distance or change to a more energetic activity.
Taking care of yourself with good nutrition, regular exercise, and conscientious preventive health care can provide tremendous benefits. The most important step is the first one: committing to a healthy lifestyle. Incorporating physical fitness and sensible nutrition into your daily routine can yield a long lifetime of positive results. So, the next time you think about getting fit, don’t ask, “Who has the time?” Instead, ask yourself, “Who wouldn’t want to feel better?”
Have a great weekend guys!
Top - ALALA
Tight - ALALA
Sneakers - NIKE